Delhi court closes investigation into JNU student’s disappearance

Sports

Delhi court closes investigation into JNU student’s disappearance

2025-07-23 23:34:32

Oumang Buddar and Briana Sharma

Indian BBC

Naguib Ahmed Naguib Ahmed family wears a colored blue t -shirt with white collars sitting in a garden Naguib Ahmed family

Najib Ahmed disappeared mysteriously in October 2016

Nine years ago, an Indian student disappeared in the delicate air.

Naguib Ahmed He was studying biotechnology At the prestigious University of Jawaher, JNU, in Delhi, when he was lost in mysterious circumstances in October 2016.

The night before his disappearance, the 27 -year -old participated in one of the youth hostels at the university in a fight with members of Achilles Bharatia Vedarithy Parish (ABVP), a group of right -wing students. Students denied any involvement in his disappearance.

For years, the Crime Agency in India, the Central Investigation Office (CBI), is trying to determine what may happen to Mr. Ahmed – the agency took over the case from the city police in 2017.

Now a court in Delhi recently closed the investigation after the Central Bank of Iraq said it had led to the movement of all potential customers in the case.

The court said in the matter that was announced last month: “As a note of separation, the court hopes to seriously follow Naguib Ahmed soon.”

However, Mr. Ahmed’s family claimed that the investigation was not conducted in an appropriate manner and said they would appeal the decision in a Supreme Court.

“What is the message you send, that the Indian investigation agency has not been able to find a missing student from one of the best universities of India?” The mother of Mr. Ahmed Fatima Navis BBC was told.

“We will not surrender until we find our son.”

He was born in a village in the state of Uttar Pradesh, Mr. Ahmed, Ibn Najjar, was the largest of four. His family made many sacrifices to support his education in JNU.

“After completing his university degree, he was determined that he wanted to study at Juno University,” said Ms. Navis.

“I told him that you can accept, but you will not stay in the youth house. You are very naive. But he didn’t listen to me.”

Hindustan Times via Getty Images, the mother of Najeeb, Ahmed on the JNU campus on November 3, 2016 in New Delhi, India. Hindustan times via Getti pictures

Fatima Navis has been fighting a legal battle to find her son since 2016

On the night of October 14, 2016, it was reported that Ahmed entered a fight with a group of ABVP students who were carrying out campaigns in the youth house elections. JNU is famous for the vibrant and intensive policy of students, as ideological groups often collided with campus issues.

In his testimonies to the Central Bank of Iraq, his room colleague Muhammad Qasim said that Mr. Ahmed was injured in the fight and had to be transferred to a public hospital, where he was claimed that he had refused to treat.

Doctors told him that they could not treat his wounds without making an official complaint with the crime to the police, and his colleague in the room claimed.

According to the court’s order, Mr. Ahmed chose not to file a complaint and returned to the campus. He lost the next day, leaving behind his phone, wallet and clothes in the youth house room.

The CBI report says that Mr. Ahmed used his phone and laptop at about 10 am in the day he disappeared. He told a guard guard for the agency that he saw Mr. Ahmed entering a tuk tuk in the morning and leaving the campus.

Mrs. Nafees, who was informed her colleague on the room on the phone, was on the way to Delhi to see her son. I arrived in the morning and when it was found missing, the complaint of the missing persons on October 15, 2016 was filed.

For several days, there was no progress. The protests erupted on the campus, where students and activists accused the authorities of inaction.

In November 2016, Mrs. Nafees submitted a petition in the Delhi Supreme Court, accusing the police of being “void, self -and subjective” and called for a tight investigation into the court.

A month later, Delhi Police conducted two comprehensive research using Sniffer dogs via the sprawling JNU campus – but again, nothing was found.

In May 2017, the court handed over the investigation to the Central Bank of Iraq.

A year later, the Central Bank of Iraq told the court that it had exhausted all potential customers – and asked the seat to close the case.

The agency said it had examined more than 500 witnesses, and collected information from taxis, buses, trains, aviation, and searching for hospitals and hospitals, but she did not find anything.

One million rupees [$11,600; £8,600] Bonus to obtain information About Mr. Ahmed also failed to achieve results, the investigators argued.

The case lasted for two other years, when Mrs. Navis returned in 2020 to the court, this time to challenge the conclusions of the Central Bank of Iraq.

She claimed that the agency failed to properly investigate the students participating in the fight with her son. She said they had a “clear motive”, threatening him, and should have been arrested. The Central Bank of Iraq denied all allegations, saying that they left “no stone that has not accelerated” in the search for Mr. Ahmed.

The agency said that it followed the phone sites for the nine students participating in the fighting with Mr. Ahmed that night, but she did not find any evidence that links them to his disappearance.

Times Hindustan via Getty Images) JNU students with people from various organizations, during a protest march and DHARNA against the Delhi police on the lost JNU student Naguib Ahmed at Jantar Mantar, on December 14, 2016 in New Delhi, India.Hindustan times via Getti photos)

Naguib Ahmed’s disappearance sparked huge protests in Delhi in 2016

Its decision to close the case finally explained, a court in Delhi said that the Central Bank of Iraq had achieved in “all reasonable means” accurately, but “reliable information cannot be received” about Mr. Ahmed’s location.

The judge rejected the call of Mrs. Navis, noting that although the witnesses confirmed oral threats, there was no “direct or circumstantial” evidence linking Mr. Ahmed’s disappearance to fighting with ABVP members.

“Such quarrels and exchanges have not been heard of” in the atmosphere charged with Jnu, and added the arrangement.

However, the court added that the Central Bank of Iraq can reopen the case if new information appears.

It was a major blow to the family of Mr. Ahmed and those with well -wishers.

Collin Gunsalvis, who represented Mrs. Navis in the Delhi Supreme Court in 2018, said he was still wondering about the investigation.

“The police routinely arrest people for minor crimes in India. It is shocking after that, none of the students have been detained to interrogate them,” he said.

Mrs. Navis claims that her son’s religion has affected the seriousness of the investigation.

“If the victim was a Hindu boy, did the police respond in the same way?” I asked.

“They destroyed the homes of the suspects,” she claimed, referring to the emerging cases where the home cavity of individuals accused of crimes by the Indian authorities is made. The BBC has reached the Central Bank of Iraq for suspension.

However, the agency has constantly confirmed that it had implemented the investigation neutral. In 2018, the Delhi Supreme Court said that they did not find any evidence that the Central Bank of Iraq had unlikely or “in light of political coercion.”

Mrs. Navis says she did not end the fighting. Every October 15, on the day her son disappeared, joins a candle march in Jnu in his memory. Hope is faint, but waiting continues.

Navis Ahmed said: “Sometimes I wonder whether I should put a board outside our house,” said Navis Ahmed.

“Our house has been renewed. What if it came, but he cannot get to know it?”

Follow BBC News India Instagramand YouTube, twitter and Facebook.



https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/1024/branded_news/3ac9/live/c41a6e70-6770-11f0-bc9b-9bff788dc28b.jpg

Post Comment