Officer convicted in Breonna Taylor raid gets 33-month sentence

Sports

Officer convicted in Breonna Taylor raid gets 33-month sentence

2025-07-21 22:55:23

“We are grateful because he goes at least to prison,” the lawyer told the Brioen Taylor family.

A former police officer in Kentucky was sentenced to 33 months in prison after being convicted of a raid that resulted in the deadly shooting of Burina Taylor, a black woman in her home.

Last year, the Federal jury found Brett Hansison, commented on the violation of civil rights, Taylor, using excessive force. The maximum penalty for the charge was life imprisonment.

The ruling comes days after the Trump administration asked the judge to give Hankison to be a one -day prison sentence – a stark contrast to the approach in the case during the era of President Joe Biden.

Hankison is the only officer to be charged and convicted directly with regard to the failed raid.

Another former officer, Kelly Godlette, who admitted to be guilty of conspiring with a colleague to forge the written certificate used to obtain an inspection note for the Taylor and covering up for their actions after her death, will be sentenced next year.

After his penalty, Hankison will face three years of supervision’s release.

Tamika Palmer, Taylor’s mother, and family lawyer after the verdict on Monday.

Getty Images image image breonna taylorGety pictures

“I think the judge did the best of her power to work with him,” said Ms. Palmer.

“It is grateful for the small piece we got.”

Taylor became the face of the movement of black life in 2020 after her death and the police killed George Floyd, who was killed while the police were arrested in the same year.

She was killed after she carried out officers wearing clear clothes “without a bird” in her home. They stormed her apartment in the early morning hours while she was a sleeper Walker.

The authorities believed that her ex -boyfriend, Taylor, was using her home to hide drugs.

Mr. Walker launched one shot when the police knocked the door down, and one of the officers, Sergeant John Mattingly, hit the leg. Mr. Walker said that the officers did not announce the police, and he believed that they were infiltrated.

The three officers returned the fire, and shot 32 bullets in the apartment.

Hansinson 10 times in her apartment, in order, said during the trial, to protect his fellow officers.

None of Hansison bullets hit anyone, but they entered a neighboring property, as there was a pregnant woman, a five -year -old girl and a sleeping man.

Prosecutors said that Hansison acted recklessly and “violated one of the most basic rules of deadly strength: if they could not see the person who shoot him, they will not be able to pull the trigger.”

Outside the court, the demonstrators awaiting the ruling prevented the streets chanting in the name of Taylor. Many people, including Taylor’s aunt, Bianca Austin.

Reuters, a police officer holding the hands of a woman behind her back, arresting her on the streetReuters

Bianca Austin, the aunt of Brio Runa Taylor, is arrested outside the court while protesting

How did the Ministry of Justice participate in this case?

In early November 2024, Hankison was I was convicted of offering civil rights.

“His use of deadly power was illegal and laid Mrs. Taylor on the Hart Road,” Public Prosecutor Merik Garland, Biden’s point, said in a statement. “This ruling is an important step towards accountability for the violation of the civil rights of Buriona Taylor, but justice for the loss of Mrs. Taylor is a task that goes beyond human ability.”

Days after Hankson’s condemnation, Donald Trump won his re-election-a political transformation that means that the recommendation of the issuance of judgments will not come from the Biden administration, which brought the charges, but from the Ministry of Justice led by Trump.

Last week, this recommendation – a Hankison request for service one day in prison Some surprised, including the Taylor family.

“Every American who believes in equal jaws must be angry,” the family attorneys said. “The recommendation in only one day in prison sends an unambiguous message that white officers can violate the civil rights of black Americans while escaping semi -cortical punishment.”

In a request to judge it, the Ministry of Justice argued that although Hansison participated in “implementing an order” during the deadly raid, he did not shoot Taylor “and was not responsible for her death.

The Ministry of Justice also said that the additional prison time “will be unfair in light of these circumstances.”

Usually, the recommendations of issuing rulings are signed by lawyers participating in the case or employees of the Ministry of Justice Justice who deal with requests to issue judgments.

In this case, Trump was appointed to the Department of the Ministry of Civil Rights, Harrett Delon, the recommendation.

What are the changes made by the Ministry of Justice in Trump?

Since his return to the White House, Trump has made the Piden era policies a priority, especially in the Ministry of Justice.

In May, the Ministry of Justice began an operation Excluding the lawsuits filed against the Luisville and Minneapolis police stations After controversy over the police and brutality of the police, including Taylor.

Investigations into the constitutional violations of the police have also ended in other cities such as Memphis and Vinix.

The Ministry of Justice criticized the Biden administration for the age of “supervision agreements” that would have imposed years of the accurate administration of the local police by federal courts.

During Biden’s period, the Ministry of Justice opened civil investigations into 12 laws and state enforcement agencies.

In four of these – in Luisville, Minyabolis, Phoenix and Lexington, Mississippi – the administration issued reports on the behavior of the system of systemic police.

While accounting agreements were made with some police stations, they were not officially enact.

These changes also came amid a collective exit from the Ministry of Justice.

In the Civil Rights Division alone, the department that made the recommendation of the ruling in Hansison was divided, about 70 % of lawyers have left since the opening of Trump, according to reports.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/1024/branded_news/2124/live/71531940-6409-11f0-a718-47e055ccea38.jpg

Post Comment